- Introduction to Musicology
- Pro-Seminar in Music
- Public Musicology
- Theory or Music History Elective
- Music History Seminar
- Elective in an American Topic
- Symphonic Choir (2 semesters)
- Electives (10 credits), including three from outside the areas of music history, music theory or composition.
Students also are required to complete a thesis, with the option of undertaking a traditional research project or a public musicology project with a shorter written document.
Recent Graduate Music History Seminars
- The Music of Benjamin Britten
- Music and Television
- Musical Biography
- Music, Violence and Trauma
- Vocal and Instrumental Music of Southeast Asia
- Popular Music: Aesthetics, Politics, Identity
- Fanny and Felix Mendelssohn and Their Worlds
- Wagner and His Influence
Exceptional Performance Opportunities
As a member of Westminster’s Symphonic Choir, you will experience music making at the highest level while singing with the world’s major orchestras, conductors and soloists. You also will have the opportunity to audition for the College’s opera and music theater productions and the Westminster Choir — the chorus-in-residence for the Spoleto Festival USA in Charleston, S.C. You will also have opportunities to participate in the Westminster Chinese Orchestra and premiere new works by faculty and student composers.