Rider University requires all International students (Full-time, part-time, ELI) and all full-time Graduate, Continuing Studies, and Undergraduate domestic students to maintain health insurance coverage for the period of their enrollment and present evidence of that coverage to Rider University (this policy does not apply to part-time domestic students).

Those students not covered by their own family policies will be covered by the insurance plan provided through the university.

Students who have purchased the Rider insurance policy must submit a claim form when utilizing the coverage. This claim form and a copy of any bills (doctor, hospital, laboratory or medicine) must be sent to:

Commercial Travelers Mutual Insurance Company
ATTN: College Claim Department
70 Genesee St.
Utica, NY 13502

Hours of Operation: 8:30am to 4:00pm

Waiving Insurance

If you elect not to purchase the insurance through Rider, the Rider student must complete an Online Waiver Card so that the cost of the insurance can be removed from the student's account.

To waive the Rider insurance, the student should log into myRider at (using EasyPass credentials) and click on the Student Information Tab .  Enter either the Personal Information (lower left of the page) or the Steps to Enrolling at Rider section (top middle of the page).   Once you open the waiver, you will need your current insurance information.  If you need technical assistance with accessing the form on line please contact the help desk.

Here are some questions which you may wish to ask when deciding to purchase the health insurance plan provided through Rider University.

Rider University requires that full-time students be covered by health insurance. Rider University provides a group health insurance plan for full-time undergraduate and graduate students for which the fee is automatically billed along with tuition and other fees. If you currently have health insurance and are considering filing a waiver to be exempted from the Student Insurance Plan, please ask your health insurance carrier the following questions.

Questions to ask your insurance carrier:

  1. Is the Lawrenceville, New Jersey area included within your health insurance carrier’s benefit coverage area?
    If not, then in effect you do not have health insurance coverage for local providers while attending school, which is nine to eleven months out of the year. Make sure you know whether or not you will require a referral from your primary physician if you need the services of a physician outside of Student Health Services or whether you will be required to return home for service.

  2. Does your other health insurance carrier provide out of area coverage only in case of emergency care?
    If so, how do they define an emergency? This may be your first extended stay away from home. Illness that might seem quite critical in the middle of the night may or may not be considered an emergency by a health insurance carrier. (Student Health Services is open week days from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and closed at all other times, including weekends and holidays when the University is closed.)

  3. Does your plan have a deductible?
    If so, how much is it and under what circumstances is it due? Some deductibles are due annually, while others are due per occurrence (accident or illness). (The Student Insurance Plan for Rider University has no deductible.)

  4. To what age limit can students be covered under your current health insurance plan?
    You need to check your policy to make sure you will be covered. Policies vary, and age limits and/or full-time student status may affect your eligibility for coverage. This may change at the end of a calendar year. (There is no age limit for students in the Student Insurance Plan.)

  5. Is the student required to contact the Primary Medical Provider before receiving emergency care?
    Please verify with your personal insurance carrier.  Students who obtain health insurance through Rider University may obtain emergency services without first visiting the Health Center. 

  6. Is the student required to obtain a referral form from the Primary Medical Provider before he/she can see a physician, specialist or psychologist in the Lawrenceville area?
    Many health insurance plans and HMO’s require referral forms from the Primary Medical Provider in order for the services of specialists to be covered.  While this is not required by students who purchase health insurance through Rider University, our Health Center staff have knowledge and relationships with local specialists and will be able to arrange appropriate referrals. 

  7. Does your health insurance cover emergency dental care?
    The Student Insurance Plan provides limited emergency dental care for accidental injuries.

Information on the Student Plans Center Website

At, students also have access to the following:

  1. Agent of Record - Contact Information for TL Groseclose

  2. Brochures- The following forms can be accessed: Rider University Student Intercollegiate Insurance brochures in PDF

  3. Find a Provider - Student can use this link to find QualCare providers

  4. Forms- The following forms can be accessed:

    Authorization to release Personal Health Information (PHI) - This is used when the third party administrator (TPA) needs a release from the claimant to access more medical information from a medical provider to adjudicate a claim

    Privacy Notice- Required by law to inform student how carrier handles private information

    Claim Form- This claim form has the new plan administrator contact information

    Permission to Disclose Health Plan Information- Allows the plan administrator to work with other individuals on behalf of the claimant (such as a parent).

  5. Logon/View Claims Status- Students can check current accident and sickness claims

    In order to access the web-portal go to

    Scroll down to Rider University- Domestic and click the “submit “button

    Click on “Login/View Claims Status

    Use the students designated login number and last name to view any paid or pending claims

FAQ for the Accident and Sickness (A&S) Insurance Plan

  • What is the policy number for the 2013-2014 Rider University Domestic Student Accident and Sickness Plan?
    The 2014-2015 policy number is 2014-G3A36 (Lawrenceville campus) and 2014-G3A58 (Westminster campus).

  • What is the effective date?
    August 20, 2014 or the date TL Groseclose Inc. receives your premium check, whichever is later.

  • What is the policy expiration date?
    August 20, 2015 Even if you leave school or graduate, your coverage will remain in force until that date.

  • Can I get the insurance to cover my spouse and/or children?

  • What does this insurance cover?
    This insurance covers medical expenses which arise from a pre-existing medical condition, accidental injury, or a sickness which occurs while you are covered under this program.

  • Does this policy pay all medical bills in full?
    In most cases, it will not. There are exclusions and limitations in the policy, so you will need to refer to the brochure.

  • Can I go to any doctor?
    Yes you can. However, the Insurance Company does work with the QualCare. Going to a QualCare provider or facility would in most cases result in lower charges which would directly lower any co-payments that you would have to pay.

  • Where do I get a claim form?
    You can pick up a claim form at the Health Center or you can go to the plan website at: and print off a form.

  • What if I am out of state when I get sick or injured?
    This insurance plan will cover you for any illness or injury which occurs out of state. You must follow the same procedures in filing a claim as if it had happened here in New Jersey.

  • How do I get an I.D. card?
    The I.D. card is included in the brochure.

Claim Procedure

In the event of a non-emergency injury or sickness, student should:

  1. You may choose to report to the Student Health Center (if in the immediate area and the center is open). If the Health Center is closed, or in the event of an emergency, seek immediate treatment from the nearest doctor or hospital. You may search for an in-network healthcare provider on the following website:
  2. If away from the area, secure treatment from a hospital or licensed physician. The Student Health Center will provide necessary instructions for filing claims.

  3. Prompt notification of claims for accident or sickness should be furnished to the Claims Administrator at the address below. Completed claim forms and medical bills must be submitted within 90 days from the date of service. Additional bills must be received within 90 days of the date of service to be considered for payment.

  4. You must fill out a claim form. They will be made available at the Student health Center or are available at

Claims Administrator:
Commercial Travelers Mutual Insurance Company
ATTN: College Claim Department
70 Genesee St.
Utica, NY 13502

Have questions? - We're here to help.
Call, e-mail or visit at:
609-896-5060 / / First floor of Poyda C Residence Hall, Lawrenceville Campus
609-921-7100 ext. 8222/ Taylor Hall, Princeton Campus

Rider University has no role in the content of what is published on the Go Ask Alice site and is not responsible for any advice or information provided by the site, and the user of the site agrees to hold Rider, and its employees and agents, harmless from any claims arising out of the use of the site. Go Ask Alice is not an instant reply service, and should not be considered specific medical advice, diagnosis or trearment.  Questions will be considered for possible publication. For treatment  for an existing ailment or condition you should consult a health care provider.