10 Keys to Effective Prayer
- Be intentional. Resisit bothering God when your bored.
- Use discipline and regularity in prayer. Listen to God as you pray.
- Prayer is not a magic formula. Be cautious in your requests.
- Be humble. As Samuel Coleridge wrote, "He prayest best who lovest best."
- Prayer is not chat. Fewer words leave God more room to answer.
- Do not hold God responsible for adversity. It rains on the just and unjust alike.
- Don't expect inspiration. Even mystics experience dry spells.
- Resist the urge to remake God in your own image. God is not co-pilot or comrade. God is a mystery.
- Pray, always, for others.
- Conclude every prayer, "not as I will, but as you will."
From Breaking Through God's Silence: A Guide to Effective Prayer
by David Yount