Registration for our Summer 2013 Reading and Writing Program has begun. More than 7000 children have come through our program since 1980. The program is designed for students ages 6 through 16. Our library of more than 7500 titles and a student-centered environment permit us to meet individual needs. Our classroom management system coerces students to take responsibility for their own learning. The program includes:
- a three-hour screening for those children who have NOT been enrolled in the Fall 2012 or Spring 2013 program. This has been scheduled for Saturday, June 15, 2013 from 8:45 to 11:45 a.m.
- thirty-six (36) hours of instruction: 12 personalized sessions, 8:45 a.m to 11:45 a.m. during the month of July, as follows:
Week 1: Monday-Wednesday, July 1 - July 3
Week 2: Monday-Wednesday, July 8 - July 10
Week 3: Monday-Wednesday, July 15 - July 17
Week 4: Monday-Wednesday, July 22 - July 24
- parent orientation the morning of the screening, June 15, 2013
- a parent education night
- final conference where your child tells you what he/she has learned, Thursday, July 25
- final written report about your child’s accomplishments.
A professional illustrator of children’s books will visit. Visiting authors and/or illustrators share their experiences which spur children to write. Dr. William Guthrie, an expert in New Jersey Native Americans, will also visit the Center. His knowledge of Native American history coupled with his skills as a professional storyteller makes the past come alive and live forever in children’s memories.
The program cost is $695 per child. The cursory screening is an additional $65. The screening is necessary for those children who are enrolling for the first time or those who have not attended the Center since Summer 2012. A nonrefundable deposit of $295 is required for each child ($360.00 if the cursory screening is needed).
Our summer “reading and writing camp” (as many children refer to us) is extremely popular. If you are interested in keeping your kids reading and writing, and having fun at the same time, do return the registration form with the deposit as soon as possible.
Please contact Gail Turner at (609) 896-5313 if you have any questions.
With happy thoughts about literacy,
||Susan Mandel Glazer, Ed.D.
Professor, Coordinator, Reading/Language Arts; Director, Center for Reading and Writing
Office: Maurer Building 108
Phone: 609-896-5000 x7189