Information about Alcohol
MYTHS and FACTS about Alcohol
MYTH: I can sober up quickly if I have to . . .
FACT: It can take up to 2 hours to process one drink.
MYTH: Beer doesn’t have as much alcohol as hard liquor.
FACT: 12 oz. of beer = 1 shot of 80-proof liquor = 4.5 oz. glass of wine
MYTH: The more you drink, the better you feel!
FACT: Alcohol is biphasic: at low levels it produces feelings of euphoria; at high levels it produces unpleasant inebriating effects, such as vomiting, mood changes and passing out
MYTH: “I can drive well enough after a few drinks . . ."
FACT: 50% of all crashes among 18-24 year olds involve alcohol.
Binge Drinking is...
• Drinking a lot of alcohol in a short amount of time
• Reaching a very high blood alcohol level
• Experiencing cognitive and physical problems as a result of excessive drinking
Binge drinking isn’t just about the number of drinks consumed, but also the time frame in which it is consumed.
Signs of a Problem Drinker
• Binge drinks
• Drinks alone
• Drinks often
• Drinks to get drunk
• Increased tolerance
• Neglects responsibilities
• Misses all or part of work or school because of alcohol