Why am I taking Placement Tests?
Placement Tests in English, Reading, and Mathematics are required of students who score below a certain level on specific SAT portions.  You may not be required to take any Placement Tests or you may be required to take any combination of the three.  Placement Test scores are used to more accurately place you into fall courses.  For more detailed information, visit the Course Placement page.

Who do I talk to if I have a documented disability?
Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides services to students with documented disabilities.  These services may include reasonable accommodations, including testing accommodations, accessing auxiliary aids, assisting with communicating needs to professors and staff, and individual sessions with professional staff.  If you need disability related services, complete the “Confidential Self Disclosure Form” and return it with the required documentation to SSD.

What do I do if I need accommodations for Placement Testing?
The Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office must receive your Confidential Self Disclosure Form and required documentation prior to your testing date. The office will review and approve your request in advance, if appropriate. Requests on the day of Placement Testing are unable to be considered for that date. Information regarding required documentation can be found on the SSD website at www.rider.edu/ssd.

How do I know what Orientation session to attend?
You have been assigned an Orientation session based on your declared major.  We do this so that there will be an academic advisor from your major to help you select your courses for the fall semester. 

What if I can’t attend my assigned Orientation session?
We strongly encourage you to attend your assigned date because this will ensure that an academic advisor from your department will be available during course selection.  If circumstances make this impossible, please call us and we will work with you.  We cannot assign you to a particular date in advance, but will do our best to reschedule you to a session you can attend.

Is Orientation required?
Yes – every new student is required to attend Orientation.  This is because Orientation gives you the opportunity to meet and get to know your classmates, learn about the campus and available resources, meet with faculty and administrators, and receive your course schedules.

What happens at Orientation?
A current student saw this question and jokingly responded, “EVERYTHING” – but it’s true!  Orientation is a time when you meet your classmates, learn about being a college student, hear from different offices and organizations, and receive information about your academic department.  It’s the first time you spend time on campus as an official Rider student and it is the foundation of your Rider career.

Do I need to bring anything specific to Orientation?
If you are staying overnight you will need to bring bedding and anything else you would need for a one night stay.  The rooms are  air conditioned, so we ask that you do not bring a fan.  You might also want to bring flip-flops for the showers.

What time does Orientation start?
Check in for students who are spending the night on campus begins at 2pm. All students and families not staying over night may begin check in at 2:30pm.

When do I get my student ID?
If you already had your ID picture taken during Placement Testing, you will receive your ID when you pick up your nametag at Orientation check-in. If you have not had your picture taken yet, you may do so after you check in.  Orientation Staff will be available to direct you to the ID office.

What do I do if I want to change my major?
If you wish to change your major, please call the Office of Admission at 609-896-5042.  If you arrive at Orientation and do not have the correct major on your Orientation nametag, you will be able to speak with an Orientation Staff member to request a change of major at that time.

How do I get my course schedule for the fall semester?
The course selection process begins when you fill out the Course Preference Sheet that you will receive in your Orientation packet.  Based on that sheet, your academic department will create a tentative schedule for you.  You will receive this course schedule on the second day of Orientation when meet with your respective departments. If you have any questions or concerns about your schedule you will be able to speak with an academic advisor during that session.

How do I receive credit for my AP classes or courses I took at another college?
If you anticipate receiving credit for Advanced Placement classes and have not yet spoken with an Admissions Counselor, you should call the Office of Admission at 609-896-5042.  In order to receive credit you must submit an official Advanced Placement score report to the Office of Admission.

Am I allowed to have a car on campus?
Yes, all students are allowed cars on campus, but you must register your car with Campus Safety.  You will have the opportunity to do that during Fall Opening when you arrive for the semester.

Can I request a roommate?
Roommate requests will be considered if you note your request on the housing application or if both roommates submit the request in writing.  You must submit these to the Residence Life Office on or about May 1st.  

If I’m interested in trying out for one of the athletic teams, what do I do?
It differs from team to team whether students are able to walk on and try out.  If you’re interested in trying out for one of the teams, you should visit http://www.gobroncs.com/ to find coaches and information for your particular sport.

If I’m not at a Division I level or don’t want to make that commitment, is there any other way to keep up with my sport?
Yes, definitely – Recreation Programs offers both Club Sports and Intramural Sports.  Club Sports are student-run teams that compete against club teams at other colleges.  Intramural Sports are open to the entire Rider community, regardless of skill level, and allow you to keep playing your current sport, try something new, or just stay active.  Also, if your sport does not currently exist, students are always welcome to start your own club team.