The Electronic Advisor was created to help address the most frequently asked questions about a range of advising topics. Advisors and advisees will have quick access to a wealth of information about a variety of academic issues. 

Students may access their academic records by visiting the MyInfo. You may find your advisor by accessing the Rider Faculty and Staff Directory.

The Electronic Advisor is a work in progress. When an issue or topic is not covered, or not covered adequately, please do not hesitate to e-mail Ira Mayo . Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Course Selection

Course selection for the spring semester occurs in the fall, and for the fall semester, it occurs in the spring. Course rosters must be picked up from advisors (CLAES) or from the Dean's Office (BUS). In all cases, advisers must sign the request form.

Course selection is based on class standing, from senior down to freshman. It is imperative that you appear on the day for which you are scheduled or you can get closed out of courses. Check the Academic Catalogs for the dates of course selection.

Normal Academic Load

Normal academic load shall not exceed 16 hours per semester or five courses not exceeding 17 credits per semester (this does not apply to students in special programs that restrict the number of credits). Students who are enrolled in science programs may be required to take additional lab credits. In order to overload, a student must:

  • have taken at least 45 credits,
  • have at least a 3.00 GPA, and
  • get permission from the Dean's Office

Students should be aware that credit overloads will result in extra tuition charges.

Schedule Changes

Schedule changes can be made through the first week of the semester. Students can check course availability through the Registrar's Web site , or through printouts at the Deans' Offices and the Registrar's Office. Additionally, a posting of open courses is placed outside of the Fine Arts Theater.

Students should always check with their advisors to insure proper course selection.

Placement Testing

English:  Placement Testing occurs at scheduled dates in June. All students are required to take an English Placement test unless:

  • the first composition course is transferred in from another college, or 
  • the SAT Verbal score is 530 or better.

There are two placement possibilities:

  1. Introduction to Expository Writing (CMP115): Students will develop college level skills in critical reading of challenging texts and in writing expository essays responding to those texts. 
  2. Expository Writing (CMP120): Students will increase their competence in the critical reading of challenging college-level texts and in writing effective essays that advance a clear and meaningful thesis while demonstrating understanding of those texts. 
  3. Research Writing (CMP125): Students who pass CMP 120 will  then take CMP 125.  Students will be introduced to the process of library research and documented writing.  Emphasis on refinement of critical reading, thinking, and writing strategies will be applied to multiple sources and documented papers. 
    Students who achieve a B or above in CMP 120 may take CMP 203 Literature and Composition.  CMP 203 teaches students how to write research papers and do library research through the use of library and internet materials.

Students in the Honors program may substitute Great Ideas I (BHP 100) for Expository Writing (CMP120) and Great Ideas II (BHP 150) or Literature and Composition (CMP 203) for Research Writing (CMP 125). Transfer students who transfer one or both English composition courses into the program will not have to take the English Placement test.

MathematicsStudents are required to take a Mathematics Placement examination at Orientation unless:

  • credit was received for the initial course (to be determined by the Dean of the College), or 
  • the SAT Math score was 550 (this applies to business students only)

Business students can place in one of two courses:

  1. Introduction to Quantitative Methods (MSD 104) must be taken by those students who do not pass the placement exam. This course offers a comprehensive review of basic algebra. No graduation credit will be earned for this course. 
  2. Quantitative Methods I (MSD 105) is the first math course taken by those students who pass the placement examination. (Students who take this course may not take the unenhanced version of MSD 105 for credit).

Liberal Arts, Education, and Science students will be required to complete one mathematics course. Typically, students who pass the placement exam take Elements of Finite Math (MTH 102). Students whose majors require Algebra and Trigonometry (MTH 105), or Calculus I (MTH 210), will satisfy the core requirements with that course. Other students may take any college level mathematics course (excluding Computer Science) for which they are qualified.

Liberal Arts, Education, and Science students who do not pass the placement examination, must take Math Skills Lab (MTH 100S). No graduation credit will be earned for this course.

Note that developmental mathematics courses (Introduction to Quantitative Methods and Math Skills Lab) are counted in financial aid calculations of full-time status even if the courses carry no graduation credit. (Students should direct questions to their financial aid counselor).

Foreign Languages: Students who have taken a foreign language in high school and would like to continue with that language must take the Foreign Language Placement test. Proper starting classes will be determined by the performance on the test.

Liberal Arts and Science students are required to demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language that is equivalent to at least one year of college study. In most cases students demonstrate such proficiency by taking foreign language courses through at least level II. Transfer students who have received credit for two foreign language through level II have met this requirement.

Students will not be permitted to take courses below the level at which they have placed. Transfer students who wish to continue with a foreign language are also bound by the placement test results. If the placement results in a repeat of a course for which the student previously received credit, those credits will be rescinded.

Click here for more imformation and to complete the ONLINE placement test.

Questions about foreign language test results should be directed to Dr. Peter Aberger, Department Chair (FA 379, 609-896-5125).

Reading: Students who do not pass the reading placement test must register for Introduction to Academic Reading (CRC 100S (paired) or CRC 101S). These courses carry no credit toward graduation.

Students who pass the reading placement test may register for College Reading (CRC 100), a 3-credit elective that helps students develop greater skill and proficiency in meeting the demands of college reading materials.


Students are expected to attend every class. Most instructors will put their attendance policy in their syllabus. If you know in advance that you are going to be out, notify your instructor. If you are going to be out for 3 consecutive days or more, notify the Dean of Students Office and they will contact your professors. It is a good idea to have a contact in each class so that in the case of absence, work can be made up.

Academic Dishonesty

Academic dishonesty includes any unauthorized collaboration or misrepresentation of academic work. Similarly, students are expected to adhere to all regulations pertaining to examinations.

Academic dishonesty is a serious offense and is punishable by expulsion from Rider.Observed incidents of academic dishonesty should be reported to the instructor, Department Chairperson, Dean of the College, or Dean of Students (see The Source for more information).

Withdrawal From A Course:

There are three withdrawal periods each semester, each with different guidelines (students must check the calendar for that semester to get dates).

Withdrawal I Student Discretion (Weeks 3 - 8): Students may withdraw at any point by completing a form with the Registrar's Office.

Withdrawal II Instructor Discretion (Weeks 9-12): Students MUST obtain the instructor's permission to withdraw. The instructor is not obligated to sign a withdrawal form. Students should check the instructor's withdrawal policy prior to Withdrawal II.

Withdrawal III Incapacity (Weeks 13-14): Students must present documented evidence of physiological, psychological, or emotional incapacity to the Dean of Students Office (Student Center 116) to withdraw at this point. Incapacity generally implies withdrawal from all courses.

From the University: A student withdrawing from the University must complete a Withdrawal form with the Dean of Students Office (Student Center 116). Students who withdraw receive grades of "W" for all of their courses.

A student who withdraws without official authorization will receive grades of "F" in all scheduled courses. A student who withdraws at the end of the semester may still be subject to academic actions. Check the Academic Catalogs for information concerning reimbursement schedules.

Leave of Absence

Students who have documented situations (medical, military service, etc.) may apply for a leave of absence from the University. The primary difference between a leave of absence and withdrawal is the method of readmission and the financial credit that is due to a student. Leaves of absence must be requested through the Dean of Students Office.