Author Dr. Jud Newborn will deliver the keynote address when the Julius and Dorothy Koppelman Holocaust/Genocide Resource Center of Rider University hosts the 13th annual Dorothy Koppelman Memorial Holocaust Lecture on Sunday, May 19, at 1 p.m. in the Bart Luedeke Center Theater. The lecture, which will be followed by a reception, is free and open to the public.
Newborn, the special projects curator at the Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington, N.Y., will give a presentation entitled Sophie Scholl and The White Rose: Student Anti-Nazi Resistance.
Born in 1921 into a Lutheran family, Sophie Scholl was a German student and revolutionary. As a young woman, she became active within the White Rose, a nonviolent, intellectual resistance group in Nazi Germany, consisting of students from the University of Munich and their philosophy professor.
The White Rose quickly gained notoriety for an anonymous leaflet and graffiti campaign calling for active opposition to the brutal regime of dictator Adolf Hitler. Scholl was convicted of high treason after her involvement was revealed, along with her brother, Hans Scholl. Both were executed by guillotine as a result in 1943.
Years later, Scholl’s life was reexamined, and since the 1970s, she has been celebrated as one of the great German heroes in the active opposition of the Third Reich during World War II.
For more information about the event, please contact The Koppelman Center at 609-896-5345 or email@example.com.
The Dorothy Koppelman Memorial Holocaust Lecture is a tribute to a woman who gave generously of her time and resources to sustain the center, now named for her and her husband, according to Dr. Harvey Kornberg, associate professor of Political Science and co-director of the Julius and Dorothy Koppelman Holocaust Center.
The Holocaust/Genocide Resource Center was established at Rider in 1984 to gather and disseminate educational material and to explore the ramifications of the Holocaust and other genocides through conferences, discussion groups and workshops. The Center serves the University, other institutions of higher learning, secondary and primary schools, and the community. In 1993, the Center was renamed to honor Julius and Dorothy Koppelman, whose commitment and generosity has guaranteed the Center’s continued existence.