Marketing, Advertising and Legal Studies
2083 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Areas of Expertise: Chinese advertising; cross-cultural advertising; international advertising strategy; cross-cultural consumer behavior
- Doctor of Philosophy, 2003, University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign, Advertising, Economics.
- Master of Arts, 1998, Wake Forest University, Communications.
- Bachelor of Arts, 1994, Peking University.
- Gao, Z. (2013). Revisiting the Golden Arches in China: The Chinese Discourse on McDonald's between 1978 and 2012. Journal of Macromarketing, 33 (4), 288-305.
- Gao, Z., Xu, J., & Kim, J. H. (2013). The Effect of Racial Cues on The Reader's Response To Advertisements: A US-China Comparative Study. Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics.
- Gao, Z. & Li, N. (2013). The Priming Effect of News Context on Chinese Attitudes toward Foreign Brands. Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, 14 (4), 268-286.
- Gao, Z. (2012). Chinese Grassroots Nationalism and Its Impact on Foreign Brands. Journal of Macromarketing, 32 (2), 181-192.
- Gao, Z., Li, N., & Scorpio, E. A. (2012). Perception of puffery in advertising: investigating the China-US differences. Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 24 (2), 179 - 198.
- Gao, Z. & Zhang, H. (2011). A Comparative Study of Chinese and US Consumers' Attitudes toward Advertising Regulation. Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 23 (1), 72-90.
- Gao, Z. & Scorpio, E. A. (2011). Does puffery deceive? An empirical investigation. Journal of Consumer Policy, 34 (2), 249-264.
- Gao, Z. (2011). Trademark law and litigation in China. Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, 12 (1), 43-68.
- Gao, Z., Zhang, H., & Li, S. F. (in press, 2010). Consumer Attitudes Toward Advertising In the Digital Age: A China-US Comparative Study. Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising.
- Gao, Z. (2009). Beyond culture: a proposal for agent-based content analyses of international advertisements. Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising, 31 (1), 104-14.
- Gao, Z. & Kim, J. H. (2009). Regulation of soft issues in advertising in Confucian societies: A comparative examination. Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 21 (1), 76-92.
- Gao, Z. (2009). Serving a stir-fry of market, culture and politics: On globalization and film policy in Greater China. Policy Studies, 30 (4), 423-438.
- Gao, Z. (2009). Ad Skepticism and Beliefs about Advertising Regulation: A pilot study of Chinese and US Consumers. American Academy of Advertising Asia-Pacific Conference.
- Gao, Z. & Kim, S. (2009). "Advertising Law and Regulation in China", Advertising and Chinese Society: Impacts and Issues.
Presentation of Refereed Papers
- Gao, Z. (2012). Post-Socialism and The Logic Of "Red Tourism" In China: A Qualitative Content Analysis. The 4th Destination Branding and Marketing Conference, Cardiff, United Kingdom.
- Gao, Z. (2010). "Group shopping" by tourists in China: something uniquely Chinese? 2010 Consumer Behavior in Tourism Symposium, Brunico, Italy.
- Gao, Z. (2009). Nationalism and international marketing: Diagnosing the paradox. International Conference on Promoting Business Ethics, Niagara Falls, New York.
- Gao, Z. (2009). Ad skepticism and beliefs about advertising regulation: a pilot study of Chinese and U.S. consumers. American Academy of Advertising Asia-Pacific Conference, Beijing, China.
Presentation of Non-Refeered Papers
- Gao, Z. (2012). Mining social media data for academic marketing research: challenges and opportunities. Qualitative Research Online 360°: 2nd Annual Conference, Milan, Italy.
- 2013: Davis Fellowship. 2013-2014 Rider University, College of Business Administration.
- 2009: Summer Research Fellowship Rider University.
- 2007: 2007-2008 Davis Fellowship Rider University.
- 2006: 2005-2006 Davis Fellowship Rider University.
- 2006: Summer Research Fellowship, Rider University.
- 2005: Summer Research Fellowship, Rider University.
- 2000: University of Illinois Distinguished Fellowship.
- 1999: University of Illinois Distinguished Fellowship.
- 1998: University of Illinois Distinguished Fellowship.