Areas of Expertise
Chinese advertising; cross-cultural advertising; international advertising strategy; cross-cultural consumer behavior
- Doctor of Philosophy, 2003, University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign, Advertising, Economics.
- Master of Arts, 1998, Wake Forest University, Communications.
- Bachelor of Arts, 1994, Peking University.
- Gao, Z. (2016). A history of modern marketing in China. Routledge Companion to Marketing History (pp. 353-369). Routledge [B].
- Gao, Z. (2015). The development of consumer privacy protection policy in China: a historical review. Journal of Historical Research in Marketing, 7 (2), 232 - 255.
- Gao, Z. (2015). When Nationalism Goes to the Market: The Case of Chinese Patriotic Songs. Journal of Macromarketing., doi: DOI: 10.1177/0276146715573079.
- Gao, Z., Zhang, H., & Li, S. F. (2014). Consumer Attitudes toward Advertising in the Digital Age: A China-US Comparative Study. Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising, 35 (1).
- Gao, Z. (2013). Revisiting the Golden Arches in China: The Chinese Discourse on McDonald's between 1978 and 2012. Journal of Macromarketing, 33 (4), 288-305.
- Gao, Z., Xu, J., & Kim, J. H. (2013). The Effect of Racial Cues on The Reader's Response To Advertisements: A US-China Comparative Study. Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics.
- Gao, Z. & Li, N. (2013). The Priming Effect of News Context on Chinese Attitudes toward Foreign Brands. Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, 14 (4), 268-286.
- Gao, Z. (2012). Chinese Grassroots Nationalism and Its Impact on Foreign Brands. Journal of Macromarketing, 32 (2), 181-192.
- Gao, Z., Li, N., & Scorpio, E. A. (2012). Perception of puffery in advertising: investigating the China-US differences. Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 24 (2), 179 - 198.
- Gao, Z. & Zhang, H. (2011). A Comparative Study of Chinese and US Consumers' Attitudes toward Advertising Regulation. Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 23 (1), 72-90.
- Gao, Z. & Scorpio, E. A. (2011). Does puffery deceive? An empirical investigation. Journal of Consumer Policy, 34 (2), 249-264.
- Gao, Z. (2011). Trademark law and litigation in China. Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, 12 (1), 43-68.
Presentation of Refereed Papers
- Gao, Z. (2014, December). Modernity Packaged in Nostalgia: A Semiotic Analysis of the "Old Shanghai" Tourist Attractions. Consumer Behavior in Tourism Symposium 2014, Brunico, Italy.
- Gao, Z. & O'Sullivan-Gavin, S. (2014, July). Policy-Making on Consumer Privacy Protection in China: A Historical Review. Macromarketing Conference, London, United Kingdom.
- Gao, Z. (2012). Post-Socialism and The Logic Of "Red Tourism" In China: A Qualitative Content Analysis. The 4th Destination Branding and Marketing Conference, Cardiff, United Kingdom.
Presentation of Non-Refeered Papers
- Gao, Z. (2012). Mining social media data for academic marketing research: challenges and opportunities. Qualitative Research Online 360°: 2nd Annual Conference, Milan, Italy.
- 2013: Davis Fellowship. 2013-2014 Rider University, College of Business Administration.
- 2009: Summer Research Fellowship Rider University.
- 2007: 2007-2008 Davis Fellowship Rider University.
- 2006: 2005-2006 Davis Fellowship Rider University.
- 2006: Summer Research Fellowship, Rider University.
- 2005: Summer Research Fellowship, Rider University.
- 2000: University of Illinois Distinguished Fellowship.
- 1999: University of Illinois Distinguished Fellowship.
- 1998: University of Illinois Distinguished Fellowship.