- BA Cum Laude, Rider College, 1968
- MA University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1972
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1975
- Rider University - 1975 to Present
- Chair, Dept. of Philosophy - 1997-Present
- Professor of Philosophy, Rider University - 1989 to Present
- Associate Professor of Philosophy, Rider University - 1982-1988
- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Rider University - 1975-1981
Courses Taught at Rider
- Logic and Language
- Social Philosophy
- Modern Philosophy
- Philosophy of Law
- Problems in 20th Century Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- Theories of Knowledge
- Contemporary Ethics
- Philosophy of George Berkeley
- Philosophy of David Hume
- Eye, Mind, and Visual Perception
- Genetic Engineering and the Philosophy of Science
Research Activities / Interests
Areas of Specialization
- Philosophy of Law, Social and Political Philosophy, Ethics, and Medical Ethics
Areas of Competence
- History of Modern Philosophy and Philosophy of Science
- "Do the Guilty Deserve Punishment", Journal of Philosophy, Vol. LXXIV, No.4, April, 1982.
- "Reparation and the Criminal Law", in Social Justice and Individual Responsibility in the Welfare State, ed., Broekman, Opater, and Kerimov (Stuttgart, 1985).
- "Torts, Crimes and the Justification of Punishment" Reason and Law, eds. Enrico Patlaro and Carla Faralli (Milan, 1987)
- "Guilt, Punishment and Desert". Responsibility, Character and the Emotions, ed., Ferdinand Schoeman (Cambridge, 1987)
- "Philosophical Problems of Aging", The Encyclopedia of Philosophy of Law, 1996.
- "Justice, Care, and the Dilemma of Age Based Health Care Rationing", under consideration for publication in Ethics; An International Journal of Social Political and Legal Philosophy.
Papers presented at international conferences
- "Reparation and the Criminal Law". Presented at the 11 World Congress of Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy, Helsinki, Finland, 1983.
- "Torts Crimes and the Justification for Punishment". Presented at the Conference on Reason in Law, Bologna, Italy, 1984.
Papers presented at regional conferences
- "Punishment and the Treatment of Persons as Merely Means". Presented at the New Jersey Regional Philosophical Association, Fall 1975, and the University of Alabama, Spring 1976.
- "Rousseau on Equality". Presented to the Rider College Philosophy Department, Fall 1977.
- "Linguistic Relativity". Presented to the Rider College Philosophy and Literature Colloquium, Fall, 1978.
- "Do We Have Obligations to Future Generations?" A Comment on "Obligations to Future Generations" by Edward Walsh. Presented at the New Jersey Regional Philosophical Association, Spring, 1977.
- "The Cost of Cheap Materialism: A comment "Cheap Materialism" by Richard Double. Presented at the New Jersey Regional Philosophical Association. Fall, 1979.
- "Killing, Letting Die, and the Problem of Euthanasia". Presented to the Rider College Philosophy Department, Spring, 1978; the University of South Carolina, Fall, 1980; and the New Jersey Regional Philosophical Association, Spring, 1980.
- "Curbing the Drunk Driver - The Rights of the Potential Victim Versus the Rights of the Driver". Presented at the Regional Victim Services Conference at the University of Delaware, Fall 1982.
- "The Ethical Implications of Using the Internet as a Health Care Resource". Presented at Rutgers University, 1998.
Book Review Essays
- John Ely Hart, Democracy and Distrust; A Theory of Judicial Review, in Law and Philosophy, 1 (1982) pp. 481-487.
- Carl Wellman, A Theory of Rights; Persons Under Laws, Institutions, and Morals, (Totowa, 1985)
- Joel Feinberg, Harm to Others (Oxford, 1984)
- Joel Feinberg, Offense to Others (Oxford, 1985)
- Anthony Flew, Thinking About Social Thinking (Oxford, 1985)
- Quentin Skinner, ed., The Return of Grand Theory in the Human Sciences (Cambridge, 1985)
- Andrew Von Hirsh, Past and Future Crimes, in Law and Philosophy, 6, 1987, pp. 129-135
- Peter Johnson, Politics Innocence and the Limits of Goodness, Ethics, 1989.
- J.M. Barbalet, Citizenship, in Ethics, 1990.
- Jacob Adler, The Urgings of Conscience: A Theory of Punishment, in Ethics, 1991.
- Claudion Marcello Tamburrini, Crime and Punishment, in Law and Philosophy, 1993.
- Victim Compensation and the Crisis of Tort Liability
- Retribution Revisited