Associate Professor - Librarian
2083 Lawrence Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
- B.A., Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan (Biology, minors in Chemistry and English)
- M.S., Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ (Microbiology)
- M.L.S., Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ (Information Retrieval, Biomedical Reference)
- Teaching Certification, Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ
NJ Department of Education Certifications: Elementary Education, K-12 Biological Sciences, K-12 Physical Sciences
- Co-coordinator, Research Instruction Program
- Library Instruction
- Interlibrary Loan
- Liaison responsibilities to Biology, Behavioral Neuroscience; Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics; Geological, Environmental & Marine Sciences; Mathematics; and Psychology
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Dawson, Patricia H., Hsieh, Ma Lei, Carlin, Michael T. (2012). Quantitative/Qualitative Analysis of Assessing Student Information Literacy Skills: The Power of Librarian-Faculty Collaborations. Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries (QQML), 1, 35-42. http://qqml.net/papers/July_Issue/4QQML_Journal_2012_Dawson_Hsieh_Carlin_1_35-42.pdf.
- Dawson, Patricia H. (2011). Are Science, Engineering, and Medical Libraries Moving Away from the Reference Desk? Results of a Survey of New Jersey Libraries. Science & Technology Libraries, 30(4), 343-353. DOI: 10.1080/0194262X.2011.626337
- Dawson, Patricia H., Yang, Sharon Q., and Heath, Wendy P. (2011). Captivating the Students: Online Library Instruction for a Psychology Class and Lessons Learned. Journal of Library and Information Science, 37, 67-72.
- Dawson, Patricia H., Jacobs, Danielle L., Yang, Sharon Q. (2010). An Online Tutorial for SciFinder for Organic Chemistry Classes. Science & Technology Libraries, 29(4), 298 - 306. DOI: 10.1080/0194262X.2010.520251
- Dawson, Patricia and Campbell, Diane K. (2007). Cataloging the path to a new dark age: A taxonomy of the Bush administration’s pervasive crusade against scientific communication. Progressive Librarian: A journal for critical studies and progressive politics in librarianship, 29, 8-17.
- Dawson, Patricia, Hohn, Barbara, Hohn, Thomas, and Skalka, Ann. (1976). Functional empty capsid precursors produced by a lambda mutant defective for late DNA replication. Journal of Virology, 17, 576-83.
- Dawson, Patricia, Skalka, Ann, and Simon, Lee. (1975). Bacteriophage lambda head morphogenesis: Studies on the role of DNA. Journal of Molecular Biology, 93, 167-80.
- Skalka, Ann and Hanson, Patricia. (1972). Comparisons of the distribution of nucleotides and common sequences in deoxyribonucleic acid from selected bacteriophages. Journal of Virology, 9, 583-93.
Scholarly Book Chapter
- Dawson, P. H., & Campbell, D. K. (2009). Driving fast to nowhere on the information highway: A look at a shifting paradigm of literacy in the twenty-first century. In V. B. Cvetkovic & R. J. Lackie (Eds.), Teaching generation M: A handbook for librarians and educators (pp. 33-50). New York City, NY: Neal-Schuman.
Journal Peer Reviewer
- Science & Technology Libraries (ISSN 0194-262X, refereed) published by Routledge (Spr. 2011 - )
- Rider Distance Learning Advisory Committee Grant, S. Yang, P. Dawson, and M. Quinn, (Oct. 2008)
International Conference Proceedings
- Dawson, Patricia, Ann Skalka, and Lee Simon. (Aug. 1974). Lambda head morphogenesis: Studies on the role of DNA. Proceedings of Bacteriophage Meeting (p. 67). Cold Spring Harbor, New York.
National Conference Proceedings
- Jacobs, Danielle L.; Dawson, Patricia H.; and Yang, Sharon Q. (August 28-September 1, 2011) Development and assessment of online SciFinder tutorials toward the promotion of scientific literacy in undergraduates. Abstracts of Papers, 242nd ACS National Meeting & Exposition (p.CINF-44). Denver, CO, United States.
- Hsieh, Ma Lei and Patricia Dawson. (2010). A University’s Information Literacy Assessment Program Using Google Docs. Brick and Click Libraries: Proceedings of an Academic Library Symposium: 10th Anniversary (pp119-135). Maryville, MO, Northwest Missouri State University. <http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED513812.pdf>
Other Professional Publications (Reports, Newsletter Articles, Abstracts)
- Dawson, Pat. (2011). Presenting and Learning at the 2011 Schuylkill Watershed Congress. Twin and Walker Creeks Watershed Conservancy, 8 (1).
- Dawson, Patricia. (2011). Presenting and Learning at the 2011 Schuylkill Watershed Congress. STEM Newsletter (publication of Save the Environment of Moorestown), 40 (3).
- (March/April 2011). Presenting and Learning at the 2011 Schuykill Watershed Congress. Echoes from our Lake (newsletter of Walker Lakeshores Landowners Association), 121, 4-5. <http://www/walkerlake.com>
- Joachim, T., Dawson, P., Borisovets, N., Deptula, M., McGivern, K., Holmes, J., Kurzmann, S., Madacsi, N., Slutsky, B., and Tisi, M. (July 2010). 2009 VALE Reference Services Survey Report (J. Caldwell, Ed.). <http://www.valenj.org/sites/default/files/VALE2009SurveyReport_final.pdf>
- Dawson, Patricia and Michele Schirmer. (Dec. 2008). Title III. Municipal Planning and Design. In Sustainable Planning Report by Moorestown Township Green Team, submitted to Moorestown Township Council.
- Dawson, Patricia and Brossy, Margaret. (2008). Green team steering committee established for Moorestown. STEM Newsletter (publication of Save the Environment of Moorestown), 37(4), 3.
- Dawson, Patricia. (2007). Section program: Revolutionizing discovery through text mining. The Chronicle (publication of the Philadelphia Chapter of Medical Library Association), 25(2), 11-13. <http://www.mlaphil.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/summer2007.pdf>
- Huttenlock, Terry L., Dawson, Patricia H., Saracevic, Tefko, and Kantor, Paul B. (1995). Derived taxonomy of value in using library and information services: A manual for encoding of responses. Technical Report APLab/95-5 ED386207. <http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/14/21/f4.pdf>
- Skalka, Ann, Ray, Usha, Hohn, Barbara, Hohn, Thomas, Reuben, Roberta, Sogo, Jose, Dawson, Patricia, and Florkiewicz, Robert. (1975). Structure and function of bacteriophage lambda DNA. Roche Institute of Molecular Biology (RIMB) Annual Report.
- Gage, Patrick, Yang, N., and Dawson, Patricia. (1975). In vitro processing 40S rRNA precursor of the silk worm Bombyx mori by Escerichia coli RNase III. RIMB Annual Report.
- Dawson, Patricia, Hohn, Barbara, Hohn, Thomas, and Skalka, Ann. (1974). Isolation and characterization of empty head-like structures which accumulate in a bacteriophage lambda mutant system. RIMB Annual Report.
- Dawson, Patricia, Simon, Lee, Jenkins, Frank, and Skalka, Ann. (1973). Protein-nucleic acid interactions: Morphogenesis of bacteriophage lambda as a model system. RIMB Annual Report.
- Skalka, Ann, Dawson, Patricia, and Jenkins, Frank. (1972). Relationship between DNA structure and phage morphogenesis. RIMB Report.