Assistant Professor I
2083 Lawrenceville Road
Lawrenceville NJ 08648
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education, Syracuse University
- M.A. in Counseling, Wake Forest University
- M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary
- B.A., Franklin and Marshall College
- Certified School Counselor, K-12 (NJ)
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- President of International Association of Addiction and Offender Counselors (IAAOC), 2010-2011
My research focuses on both adaptive and maladaptive coping strategies. My scholarly interests include maladaptive coping strategies, such as eating disorder symptomatology and self-injury. My research also addresses adaptive coping strategies, such as active coping methods and beneficial spiritual coping styles.
- Buser, T. J., Buser, J. K., & Kearney, A. (2012). Justice in the family: The moderating role of social self-efficacy in the relationship between nonsuicidal self-injury and interactional justice from parents. The Family Journal, 20(2), 147-156
- Buser, J. K , Goodrich, K., Luke, M., Buser, T. J. (2011). A Narratology of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Clients’ Experiences Addressing Religious and Spiritual Issues in Counseling. The Journal of LGBT Issues in Counseling, 5, 282-303.
- Buser, J. K., Buser, T. J., Gladding, S. T., & Wilkerson, J. (2011). The Creative counselor: Using the SCAMPER model in counselor training. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 6(4), 256-273.
- Buser, J. K., & Saponara, E. (2011). School counseling prevention and intervention for child witnesses of intimate partner violence. Journal of School Counseling, 9(8). Retrieved from http://jsc.montana.edu/articles/v9n8.pdf
- Buser, J. K. (2011). The media, body dissatisfaction, and the thin-ideal: A group model for college females. In T. Fitch and J. Marshal (Eds.), Group work and outreach activity guide for college counselors: Group plans and resources (pp. 143-147). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Buser, J. K. (2010). American Indian adolescents and disordered eating. Professional School Counseling, 14, 146-155.
- Buser, J. K. (2009). Treatment seeking disparity between African Americans and Whites: Attitudes toward treatment, coping resources, and racism. Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, 32, 94-115.
- Buser, T. J., Buser, J. K., & Gladding, S. T. (2005). Good grief: The part of arts in healing loss and grief. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 1, 173-183.
- Buser, T. J., Buser, J. K., & Binkley, E. (Producers and Directors). (2007). Counseling children: A developmental approach, companion video resource [Motion picture]. (Available from Thomson Learning, P.O. Box 6904, Florence, KY 41022-6904).
- Buser, T. J., Buser, J. K., & Binkley, E. (Producers and Directors). (2007). Creativity in counseling: The SCAMPER model [Motion picture]. (Available from Microtraining Associates, 25 Burdette Avenue, Framingham, MA 01702).
- Buser, J., K. Peterson, C. H., Buser, T. J., & Westburg, N. (2012, April). Spirituality in counseling: The spiritual genogram as a clinical intervention. Program presented at the New Jersey Counseling Association Conference, Lincroft, NJ.
- Buser, T. J., Buser, J., K. Peterson, C. H., & Westburg, N. (2011, April). Wellness and strength based counseling. Program presented at the New Jersey Counseling Association Conference, Lincroft, NJ.
- Buser, T. J., & Buser, J. K. (2012, March). Addictive features of nonsuicidal self-injury. Poster session presented at the annual conference of American Counseling Association, San Fransciso, CA.
- Buser, T. J., & Buser, J. K. (2009, October). Mindfulness in counselor education. Program presented at the annual conference of the Association of Counselor Education and Supervision, San Diego, California.
- Buser, J. K., & Buser, T. J. (2008, March). Mental health treatment issues for African Americans: The barriers and supports to receiving care. Poster session presented at the annual conference of the American Counseling Association, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Buser, T. J., & Buser, J. K. (2006, April). Loosening the grip of eating disorders and addiction: Solution-focused methods. Poster session presented at the annual conference of the American Counseling Association, Montreal, Canada.
- Buser, J.K., & Colangelo, K. (2008, September). Collecting data over the internet: Benefits and Limitations. Program presented at the North Atlantic Region of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Portland, Maine.
- Buser, J.K. (2006, October). The “Power of One”: Findings in resiliency and a new way to view the school counselor. Poster session presented at the North Atlantic Region of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Lake George, NY.
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- International Association of Addictions and Offender Counseling (IAAOC)
- American College Counseling Association (ACCA)
- Chi Sigma Iota
- COUN 500: Introduction to Counseling
- COUN 550: Counseling Techniques Lab
- CNPY 502: Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy
- COUN 515: Substance Abuse Counseling
- COUN 508: Foundations of Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- COUN 580: Elementary School Counseling Practicum
- EDSO 501: Foundations of School Counseling & Referral Sources for Client and Students with Special Needs