2083 Lawrenceville Road , Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
B.A., Colgate University; Ph.D.,Vanderbilt University. He studies the effects of stress on health and disease, neural-immune interactions, and environmental influences on behavior. Dr. Karp came to Rider in 1997.
- 1996-1997 Research Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Center for Psychoneuroimmunology Research, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
- 1992-1995 NIH Post Doctoral Fellow, Behavioral & Psychosocial Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
- 1991 Ph.D., Neuroscience, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- 1986 B.A., Neuroscience, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
Merck/AAAS Undergraduate Science Research Program, co-investigator, 2004-2006
Noradrenergic Interactions and Immunity, NIH Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) 1-R15-AI50956-01, 2002-2005
Stress and Infection in Immunocompromized Hosts, NIH Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA), , 1-R15-MH58457-01, 1998-2001
Psychosocial Modulation of Immunity, Rider University Summer Research Fellowship, 1998
Undergraduate Courses Taught
Life Sciences: Human Emphasis (BIO 100)
Life Sciences: Biopsychology Emphasis (BNS 107)
Behavioral Neuroscience with Lab (BNS 118)
Neurobiology with Lab (BNS 310)
Statistics and Computer Applications Lab (ENV 200L)
Introduction to the Integrated Sciences (ISM 100)
Seminar in Biopsychology (BNS 415)
Corporate Instruction Experience
Cell Biology: Cell Membrane Emphasis (with James Riggs, Ph.D.)
Short Courses in Neurobiology
Interested in going to graduate school to study a science-related topic?
I am the co-author of The Ph.D. Process: A Students Guide to Graduate School in the Sciences (ISBN 0-19-511900-2). You may find this book useful in helping you make this important decision. The link above will take you directly to Amazon.com where you can read reviews of the book.
- Byler, S.L., Boehm, G. W., Karp, J.D., Kohman, R.A., Tarr, A. J., Schallert, T, and Barth, T.M. Systemic lipopolysaccharide plus MPTP as a model of dopamine loss and gait instability in C57Bl/6J mice. Beh Brain Research 198:434-439, 2009.
- Pennello, A., Taylor, J., Matlack, R., Karp, J. and Riggs, J. Spiny mice (Acomys cahirinus) do not respond to thymus-independent type 2 antigens. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 30:1181-1190, 2006.
- Maxwell, C.R., Ehrlichman, R.S., Liang, Y., Trief, D., Kanes, S.J., Karp, J., and Siegel, S.J. Ketamine Produces Lasting Disruptions in Encoding of Sensory Stimuli. The Journal of Pharmaology and Experimental Therapeutics 316:315–324, 2006.
- Maxwell, C.R., Ehrlichman, R.S., Liang, Y., Gettes, D.R., Evans, D.L., Kanes, S.J., Abel, T., Karp, J., and Siegel, S.J. Corticosterone Modulates Auditory Gating in Mouse. Neuropsychopharmacology, 1–7, 2005.
- Karp, J.D., Szczytkowski, J. L., and Gentile, C. F., Noradrenergic responses of peripheral organs to cyclophosphamide in mice. Life Sciences 75:2077-2089, 2004.
- Karp, J.D. and Szczytkowski, J. L., Cyclophosphamide induces dose- and time-dependent elevations in spleen norepinephrine levels of BALB/c mice. Neuroscience Letters 344:117-121, 2003.
- Karp, J.D., Smith, J., and Hawk, K. Restraint Stress Augments Antibody Production in Cyclophosphamide-Treated Mice. Physiology Behavior 70:271-278, 2000.
- Karp, J.D. Book Review of Stress, Immune Function, and Health: The Connection, by Bruce Rabin, Wiley-Liss Publishers, NY, 1999. 371 pages. Brain Behav Immunity 14:225-227, 2000.
- Moynihan, J.A., Karp, J.D., Cohen, N, and Ader, R. Immune system deviation by stress odor exposure: role of endogenous opioids. J. Neuroimmunology 102:145-153, 2000.
- Bloom, D., Karp. J. D., and Cohen, N. The Ph.D. School Process: A Student's Guide to Graduate Studies in the Sciences.Oxford University Press (ISBN 0-19-511900-2), 1998.
- Karp, J.D. Book Review of The Physiology of Immunity, edited by James A. Marsh and Marion D. Kendall, CRC Press, NY, 1996. 446 pages.Brain Behav Immunity 12:247-248, 1998.
- Karp, J.D., Moynihan, J.A. and Ader, R. Psychosocial influences on immune responses to herpes simplex virus infection in BALB/c mice. Brain Behavior Immunity 11:47-62, 1997.
- Cohen, N., Karp, J. D., Ader, R. A. and Moynihan, J. A. Behaviorale Regulation der Immunitat (Behavioral Regulation of Immunity). Zeitschrift fur Medizinische Psychologie (Journal of Medical Psychology) 2:86-94, 1997.
- Karp, J.D., Cohen, N. and Moynihan, J.A. Quantitative differences in interleukin-2 and interleukin-4 production by antigen-stimulated splenocytes from individually- and group-housed mice. Life Sci. 55:789-795, 1994.
- Moynihan, J.A., Karp J.D., Cocke, R., and Cohen, N. Alterations in IL-4 and antibody production following pheromone exposure: potential mediation by glucocorticoids. J. Neuroimmunol. 54:51-58, 1994.
- Moynihan, J.A., Brenner, G.J., Cocke, R., Karp, J.D., Breneman, S.M., Dopp, J.M., Ader, R., Cohen, N., Grota, L.J., Felten, S.Y. Stress-Induced Modulation of Immune Function in Mice. Handbook of Human Stress and Immunity . Edited by R. Glaser and J. Kiecolt-Glaser, Academic Press Inc., New York, 1994, pp. 1-22.
- Karp, J.D., Moynihan, J.A. and Ader, R. Effects of differential housing on the primary and secondary antibody responses of male C57Bl/6 and BALB/c mice. Brain Behav. Immunity 7:326-333, 1993.
- Karp, J. D. and Powers, J. B. Influence of the pineal gland on photoperiodic modulation of estrogen-facilitated behaviors in female Syrian hamsters. Physiol Behav. 54:19-28, 1993.
- Maywood, E.S., Grosse, J., Lyndsay, J., Karp, J., Powers, J. B., Ebling, F.J., Herbert, J., and Hastings, M.H. The effect of signal frequency on the gonadal response of male Syrian hamsters to programmed infusions of melatonin. J. Neuroendocrinology 4:37-43, 1992.
- Maywood, E., Lyndsay, J., Karp, J., Powers, B., Williams, L., Titchener, L., Ebling, F., Herbert, J., and Hastings, M. Occlusion of the melatonin-free interval blocks the gonadal response to programmed melatonin infusions in the male hamster. J. Neuroendocrinology, 3:331-338, 1991.
- Karp, J. D., Hastings, M. H., and Powers, J. B. Melatonin and the coding of daylength in male Syrian hamsters. J. Pineal Research, 10:210-217, 1991.
- Pospichal, M. W., Karp, J. D., and Powers, J. B. Influence of daylength on male hamster sexual behavior: masking effects of testosterone. Physiol. Behav., 49:417-422, 1991.
- Miernicki, M., Karp, J. D., and Powers, J. B. Pinealectomy prevents short photoperiod inhibition of male hamster sexual behavior. Physiol. Behav. 47:293-299, 1990.
- Karp, J. D., Dixon, M. E., and Powers, J. B. Photoperiod history, melatonin and reproductive responses of male Syrian hamsters. J. Pineal Res. 8:137-152, 1990.