Dr. McMullen has been a member of the Rider community since 1991. She is a CPA, a CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner), an FCPA (Forensic Certified Public Accountant), and a CGMA (Certified Global Management Accountant).
She developed the Concentration in Forensic Accounting, which is now ranked in the top ten in the country. She currently teaches the Fraud Examination and Business Forensics Business course, the Business Forensics Capstone Course, and the Internal Auditing course, all of which she developed for the concentration. She was instrumental in Rider becoming part of the Institute of Internal Auditor’s Internal Auditing Education Partnership (IAEP), in which only 4 universities are included.
Her research focuses on fraudulent financial reporting and forensics, corporate governance and accounting education, including the teaching of ethics. She has published more than twenty-five articles in such journals as Journal of Accountancy, Journal of Forensic and Investigative Accounting, and Accounting Horizons. Dr. McMullen has presented at more than thirty national and regional workshops on many topics and most recently made a CPE presentation on Money Laundering to the Association of Government Accountants – Trenton Chapter on behalf of Rider University’s Center for Business Forensics.
She has served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Accountancy, the Pennsylvania CPA Journal and Issues in Accounting Education and currently sits on the editorial board of The Journal of Forensic and Investigative Accounting. Prior to entering academics, she held various auditing and corporate positions including Director of Taxation and Financial Reporting for Keystone Foods, McDonald’s largest supplier.
Fraudulent Financial Reporting; corporate governance: audit committees, accounting education; forensic accounting
Forensic accounting and fraud examination; auditing and internal auditing; accounting information systems; financial accounting, auditing
- Doctor of Philosophy, 1992, Drexel University, Accounting, Statistics
- Master of Business Administration, 1986, Drexel University, Finance
- Bachelor’s of Science, 1977, LaSalle University, Accounting
- McMullen, D. A., Sanchez, M., & O'Reilly-Allen, M. (in press, 2015). Target Security: A Case Study of How Hackers Hit the Jackpot at the Expense of Customers. Review of Business and Finance Studies.
- Meric, I., McMullen, D. A., Smeltz, W., & Meric, G. (2013). Performance and Portfolio Diversification Benefits of Investing in Exchange-Traded Sector Index Funds. Troy University Business and Economic Review, 3, 21-27.
- McMullen, D. A., Sanchez, M. H., & Stout, D. E. (2011). Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) and the Role of the Management Accountant. Management Accounting Quarterly, 12 (2).
Recent Presentations of Refereed Papers
- McMullen, D. A., Sanchez, M. H., & O'Reilly-Allen, M. (2015, April). Target Security Breach Case Study: Hackers Hit the Jackpot at the Expense of Customers. American Accounting Association Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting, Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
- McMullen, D. A., Sanchez, M. H., & O'Reilly-Allen, M. (2015). Target Security Breach Case Study: Hackers Hit the Jackpot at the Expense of Customers. American Accounting Association Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting.
- 2014: Summer Research Fellowship. Rider University.
- 2014: Loyalty Award for Dedication, Selfless Effort and Commitment to the Success and Mission of RCHS. Roman Catholic High School.
- 2012: Bright Idea Award. Stillman School of Business, Seton Hall University, and NJ Business and Industry Assoc.'s public policy research affiliate NJPRO Foundation Bright Idea Award for the article entitled 'Initial Public Offerings and the Role of the Management Accountant' with co-authors Maria Sanchez and David Stout.
- 2010: Accounting Advisory Council, Rider University College of Business Administration, Accounting Dept. Summer Research Grant
- 2010: Rider University, College of Business Administration, Center for Business Forensics. Research Grant
- 2009: Rider University, College of Business Administration, Center for Business Forensics. Research Grant
- 2008: Paid Development Leave. Rider University.
- 2008: Rider University, College of Business Administration, Center for Business Forensics. Research Grant
- 2008: Archbishop Ryan High School. 'Spirit of Ryan' Award for outstanding service and dedication to high school
- 2006: Rider University. Davis Fellowship
- 2006: Rider University, College of Business Administration, Center for Business Forensics. Research Grant
- 2005: Rider University. Summer Developmental Fellowship
- 2002: Rider University Student Government Association. Michelle McCormack Award for Contribution to Student Life (SGA)
- 2000: LaSalle University. Michael DeAngelis Award - Outstanding Accounting Alumni
- 2014: Special Guest of Andrew J. Rider Scholar at Andrew J. Rider Ceremony. Rider University.
- 2012: The person at Rider who most influenced student development and achievement. Rider University Founder's Day Andrew J. Rider Scholars. Named by Andrew J. Rider Scholars as the person at Rider who most influenced their development and achievement.
- 2011: Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) Lybrand Awards Manuscript Competition. Manuscript entitled: Initial Public Offerings and the Role of the Management Accountant in the IPO Process, by Dorothy McMullen, Maria H. Sanchez and David E. Stout, won a Certificate of Appreciation in the IMA's Lybrand Awards Manuscript Competition.
- 2009: Rider University. Special Guest of Andrew J. Rider Scholar, Andrew J. Rider Ceremony
- 2009: Special Guest of Andrew J. Rider Scholar, Andrew J. Rider Ceremony. Rider University.
- 2008: Rider University. Special Guest of Andrew J. Rider Scholars, Andrew J. Rider Ceremony
- 2005: Who's Who of America's Teachers.
- 1996: Rider University College of Business Administration. Citation for Outstanding Author Re: Audit Committee Performance
- 1990: Who's Who of Rising Young Americans.
- 1990: Alpha Iota Delta Honor Society (Quant Methods).
- 1989: American Accounting Association Doctoral Consortium Fellow.