2083 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Dr. Wygal has been a member of the Rider Community since 1984. He has taught in the areas of Cost and Managerial Accounting as well as Financial Reporting and Accounting Policy. He is active in national and international accounting professional organizations, including service as Chair of the Teaching and Curriculum Section of the American Accounting Association and membership on the Pre-certification Education Executive Committee of the AICPA and the Committee on Academic Relations of the Institute of Management Accountants. He serves on the editorial boards of several professional journals and is the past Associate Editor of Issues in Accounting Education.
His research is primarily in the areas of ethics and professionalism and accounting curricular change. His work has appeared in Accounting Education: An International Journal, Accounting Horizons, Advances in Accounting, Advances in International Accounting, Issues in Accounting Education, Journal of Accounting Education, Management Accounting Quarterly, Pennsylvania CPA Journal, Strategic Finance and other journals.
He is a U.S. Army veteran of the Vietnam War, having served with the 101st Airborne Division in Phu Bai. He is married to Carol, a dedicated health-care professional, and is the father of Don Jr., Melissa and Melanie - wonderful children who have made him look good as a father.
- Doctor of Philosophy, 1977, University of Pittsburgh, Accounting, Corporate Social Policy
- Master of Business Administration, 1970, University of Pittsburgh
- Bachelor of Arts, 1969, Slippery Rock State College, History, Economics
- Wygal, D. E. (2011). Teaching, Scholarship and Sharing: Perspectives on Community. Accounting Education - An International Journal, 20 (3), 227-237.
- Wygal, D. E. & Stout, D. E. (2011). The Role of Continuous Improvement and Mentoring in the Pursuit of Teaching Effectiveness: Perspectives from Award-Winning Accounting Educators. Accounting Educators' Journal, 21 (1), 33-44.
- Lillie, R. E. & Wygal, D. E. (2011). Virtual Office Hours (VOH) in Accounting Coursework: Leveraging Technology to Enhance an Integrative Learning Environment. Journal of Accounting Education, 29 (1), 1-13.
- Stout, D. E. & Wygal, D. E. (2010). Negative Behaviors that Impede Learning: Survey Findings from Award-Winning Accounting Educators. Journal of Accounting Education, 28 (2), 58-74.
- Wygal, D. E. (2009). Building Community: The Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting. Accounting Education - An International Journal, 18 (1), 99-101.
- Haywood, M. E. & Wygal, D. E. (2009). Ethics and Professionalism: Bringing the Topic to Life in the Classroom. Journal of Accounting Education, 27 (2), 71-84.
- Wygal, D. E. & Prober, L. M. (2008). Forensic Data Analysis and Associated Skill Needs In Governmental Agencies, Rider University Lawrenceville NJ 08648: Center For Business Forensics.
Presentation of Refereed Papers
- Wygal, D. E. & Stout, D. E. (2010, July). Strategies to Improve Teaching: Lessons Learned by Award-Winning Accounting Educators. Congress of Political Economists, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Wygal, D. E. & Stout, D. E. (2010, October). The Journey Toward Teaching Excellence: The Role of Continuous Improvement and Mentoring. Academy of Business Education Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- Wygal, D. E., Glazermann, E., Sanders, B., & Plumlee, M. (2010, August). Partnering to Address International Financial Reporting Issues. American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California.
- Wygal, D. E., Stout, D. E. , & Allen, R. (2010, August). The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Characteristics of Effective and Ineffective Teaching. American Accounting Association Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting, San Francisco, California.
- Wygal, D. E. & McDowell, E. (2009, August). An Ethics and Professionalism Project Approach. American Accounting Association Annual Meeting Poster Session, New York, New York.
- Wygal, D. E. (2009, August). Linking the Community and Classroom -Intermediate Accounting. American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, New York City, New York.
- Wygal, D. E., Trapnell, J., Weinstein, G., & Wyer, J. (2008, August). Real and Imagined Partnering Opportunities Between the Academic and Professional Communities. American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California.
- Wygal, D. E. (2008, August). Developing and Assessing Student Skills: Classroom to Practice Settings. American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California.
- 2010: IMA National Faculty Leadership Award Institute of Management Accountants.
- 1989: Best Curriculum Enhancement Paper - P. W. Industries Award - "Writing in Accounting: The Use of Informal Journals" - K. Hoff and D. Stout. 1989 Meeting of N. E. Decision Sciences Institute.
- 1987: Certificate of Merit - National Association of Accountant.
- 1986: Outstanding Paper Award (with D. Stout) - Annual Meeting Decision Sciences Institute.