About the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is a state sponsored program that helps low-income New Jersey residents attend college. The program was created in 1969 to make higher education more accessible to students who might not otherwise be able to continue their education due to academic disadvantage or a lack of financial resources.
Students are admitted into the program when they have demonstrated academic readiness, academic potential, determination, a genuine desire to learn and a need for financial assistance. Students receiving an EOP grant may be eligible for other state and federal grants.
Rider’s EOP financial aid packages cover nearly 100% of the required cost (including books) for students of greatest need.
Goals of the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
The two principle goals of EOP are:
- To empower students to become well rounded leaders with the skills necessary for responsible citizenship in a changing world
- To encourage students to make a positive impact on Rider University and the greater community.
Eligibility & Applying for EOP
To be considered for the EOP program, you must:
Income Eligibility Scale
Income eligibility figures for the 2012-2013 academic year are available below. For additional information, please visit the New Jersey EOF web site :
Gross Income Maximum
Gross Income Maximum
* Allow $7,640 for each additional household member
The Many Ways EOP Assists Students
The EOP is based on a successful learning community model. The program has an intense cooperation among staff, faculty, and administration with many student directed activities.
The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides eligible students with a support system that includes:
- A 5-week EOP Summer Institute (required) that prepares you to succeed before your first semester even begins
- The renewable $5000 Maurice E. Palmer Memorial Scholarship, awarded to one high-achieving EOP student each year
- Assistance in planning courses
- Progress check-ins
- Career services
- Leadership development
- Career counseling and connections
- Personal and academic counseling
- Free tutoring