Registration for Summer 2017 will begin in mid-December
Now in its 34th year, Piano Camp is a unique and exciting musical experience for high school students. Led by Professor of Piano, Ingrid Jacobson Clarfield, the outstanding faculty includes Todd Simmons, Kristin Topham, Matt Gutwald, Ray Nugent, Kelly Lin, Richard Woo and Robert Colby-Witanek. The faculty will presentlecture/demonstrations, master classes and group discussions, which allow campers the opportunity to explore, in a supportive environment, the many facets of playing the piano. Ideas on efficient practice techniques, stylistic interpretation, memorization and dealing with performance anxiety will be presented. By reviewing videotapes of their playing and master classes, pianists will be able to study technique, performance choreography, develop poise and strive for a polished performance.
July 16 - 21, 2017
- Students will be coached in solo, duet and two-piano pieces in addition to prepared solos from their current repertoire
- Students receive supervised practice sessions
- Professor Clarfield will provide guidance in the preparation of college auditions, recitals, competitions and career opportunities
- Students attend classes in style and interpretation, technique, memorization, music history, jazz and accompanying
- Students will demonstrate what they have learned by performing solo and ensemble pieces in a recital on Friday afternoon
- Morning: Group classes in technique, memory tips, and performance anxiety. Master classes in solo repertoire
- Afternoon: Ensemble rehearsals and coaching, group classes in music history, performance choreography, preparing for auditions and master classes on solo repertoire
- Evening: Fun group activities that teach jazz, improvisation, composition and accompanying; supervised practice sessions on solo and ensemble repertoire.
- Final Concert
$995 (includes room and board)
Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
Family discount - Families sending more than one student receive a $100 discount per program
Enrollment is open to students entering the 9th through 12th grades. Due to the popularity of this program, camp is not open to students who are graduating from high school except for those who will be coming to Westminster Choir College in the fall. Piano Camp is limited to 24 students. We also recommend you enroll early since this camp closes out quickly!
Westminster Office of Continuing Education