Join Matthew Lewis, acclaimed organ faculty member at Westminster Choir College and the Pre-College Division of Juilliard; with Princeton University Organist Eric Plutz, along with Daryl Robinson, coordinator of the Organ Department, for a two-week Institute for High School organists.
The experience includes private lessons, the opportunity to play the Princeton University Chapel organ, organ crawls to major churches in New York, master classes, and sessions on various organ related topics. The Institute ends with a student recital where all participants perform and a Choral Concert where Organ Institute students perform in the Vocal Institute concert.
One of the premier schools for organ study in the United States, Westminster features a collection of 15 pipe organs by major builders, including recital instruments by Aeolian-Skinner, Casavant and Fisk, as well as practice instruments by Noack, Beckerath, Flentrop, Holtkamp, Möller, Phelps and Schantz.
July 3 - 16, 2016
- Multiple private lessons and master classes with the organ faculty
- Attend classes in musical style, technique, history, literature and registration
- Classes in liturgical organ playing and improvisation
- Daily choral experience; Perform in the Final Vocal Institute concert
- Learn effective techniques for practicing, performance anxiety and memorization
- Learn how to prepare for auditions and college applications
- Built-in practice time
- Trip to New York city to hear and play some of the region’s most noted organs
- Trip to Ocean Grove, NJ to hear the organ at the Great Auditorium
- Two performances! Students will perform in a final organ recital on the Westminster campus Friday, July 15, 2016 and in the final choral concert with Vocal Institute on Saturday, July 16, 2016
The daily schedule includes morning and afternoon sessions on varying topics including organ literature, hymn playing and improvisation, master classes, and participate daily in the Vocal Institute full choir. Private lessons are offered weekdays except when off campus. Free time for practice on Westminster’s many pipe organs completes this rich experience. Evening and weekend activities will feature special presentations, social events and recitals.
$1895 (includes room and board)
- Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
- Family discount - Families sending more than one student receive a $100 discount per program
Enrollment is open to students ages 14-18 years old. There is no application deadline for this program, however it is advisable to register early to reserve your place in this popular class.
Westminster Office of Continuing Education