High School Music Theatre Workshop
July 17 - 31, 2016
This summer, Westminster Music Theatre Workshop welcomes Director Trent Blanton. Mr. Blanton, an Assistant Professor of Theater in Westminster College of the Arts of Rider University, is a proud active member of Actor’s Equity and the Society of Directors and Choreographers, Trent’s professional acting credits include: La Cage Aux Folles (Forestburgh Playhouse), Sweet Charity (Aurora Theatre), Slippery as Sin (Passage Theatre Company), Les Miserables (Actors’ Playhouse), A Christmas Carol (Actors Theatre of Louisville), 1776 (Ford’s Theatre, Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera); Fiddler on the Roof (Starlight Musicals of Kansas City & The MUNY of St. Louis); A Christmas Carol, Romeo & Juliet (Alliance Theatre); A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Merchant of Venice, The Taming of the Shrew (Georgia Shakespeare); and Masada (York Theatre). Trent played virtually every major city in North America in the Broadway National Tour of Les Miserables and appeared in the Chinese premiere of Les Miz with Colm Wilkinson at the Shanghai Grand Theatre.
- Work in a master class with Broadway artist, Alice Ripley. Best known for her Tony Award-winning performance as Diana in Next to Normal, she was also nominated for her performance in Side Show. Her other Broadway credits include The Rocky Horror Show, Sunset Boulevard and Les Misérables. She is currently starring in American Pyscho.
- Travel to New York City to see a Broadway musical
- Study acting (including scene study and audition techniques)
- Learn contemporary commercial singing techniques
- Dance in movement classes
- Perform in the Musical Theater Showcase Revue
- Perform in a semi-staged version of Xanadu
Faculty and Instructors
- Marianne Cook - Vocal Teacher; Associate Professor Westminster College of the Arts at Rider University
- Ivan Fuller - Fight Choreography; Professor, Chair of the Theatre, Musical Theater & Dance Department, and Associate Dean of the School of Fine & Performing Arts at Rider University
- Robin Lewis - Dance Masterclass; Assistant Professor Westminster College of the Arts at Rider University
- Louis Goldberg - Musical Director; Adjunct Assistant Professor Westminster College of the Arts at Rider University
- Classes in acting, choreography and voice
- Ensemble vocal rehearsals, individual coaching
- Blocking rehearsals
- Final Concert
$1895 (includes room and board)
- Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
- Family discount - Families sending more than one student receive a $100 discount per program
- Solo Vocal discount - Add Solo Vocal Artist (pending audition) to Vocal Institute for only $1,395 (instead of $1,895)
Enrollment is open to high school singers, actors and dancers entering the 10th grade through those who have just completed their senior year. Enrollment is limited; applicants are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis; and acceptance is based on available space in each voice part. Please list all voice parts you are willing to sing (mark first and second choices, if appropriate). Students must participate in both weeks of the program.
This is a residential program on Rider University's Lawrenceville campus and students must participate in both weeks. Students are accepted based on recommendations from their teacher.
Westminster Office of Continuing Education