Expanding its popular choral, voice and piano programs across the country, Westminster is pleased to announce the inaugural year of this summer program in the San Francisco bay area for high school singers and pianists ages 14 - 18.
An excellent opportunity for young musicians to receive high level professional vocal, piano and choral training, students will work with world-class faculty, including Vance George, Director emeritus of the San Francisco Symphony Chorus and internationally renowned as one of the world's leading choral directors. Students will study voice with Westminster faculty member Lindsey Christiansen and Carrie Hennessey, known for her ability to bring great musical and theatrical depth to her performances. Ming Luke, Music Director of the Berkeley Community Chorus and Orchestra and frequent conductor of the San Francisco Ballet, is program coordinator and will teach piano, conducting and work with the Festival chorus. Derek Tam performs regularly with ensembles on both coasts, Assistant Conductor of the Berkeley Community Chorus and Orchestra (BCCO), and was recently appointed Artistic Director of Opus Q, a men's vocal ensemble based in Berkeley.
When is this program offered?
July 26 - August 4, 2013
St. Mary’s College
$1295 (includes room and board)
Enrollment is open to students ages 14 – 18. There is no audition or application deadline for this program, however it is advisable to register early to reserve your place what will be a popular program.
- Focus on college-level choral singing of major choral repertoire
- Daily voice classes with Westminster artist faculty
- Solo vocal training in classical performance
- Opportunities for private lessons in voice and piano
- Elective classes in Voice Performance or Choral Conducting
- Perform in the final choral concert conducted by Vance George and Ming Luke
Daily Schedule (tentative)
- Morning: Choral rehearsal, sectionals and movement classes
- Afternoon: Select ensembles, choral rehearsal, elective classes and theory/sight-reading
- Evening: Special activities
Elective Classes (tentative)
- Voice Performance
Guest faculty includes:
- Vance George, Former Chorus Director of the San Francisco Symphony Chorus
- Lindsey Christiansen, Professor of Voice at Westminster Choir College
- Ming Luke, Music Director, Symphony Napa Valley
What the Critics say:
"Maestro Ming Luke, who so skillfully and sensitively conducted this variety of selections from baroque to Broadway, [had] his audience as much in his thrall as his musicians."
“Under Vance George’s leadership, the Chorus won four Grammy Awards, an Emmy, and gained a reputation as one of the finest choruses of its kind in the world.”
“Students and former students of Lindsey Christiansen have sung in opera houses all over the world including The Metropolitan Opera, Covent Garden, Paris Opera, Glyndebourne Opera, Santa Fe Opera, Chicago Lyric Opera, San Francisco Opera, and Seattle Opera. They have been prize winners in major competitions including the Metropolitan Opera Auditions.”
Westminster Office of Continuing Education