"I really liked the balance between singing and organ, and the unity of musicians."
"This was an awesome experience for me. I truly enjoyed these two weeks. Thank you."
- Organ Institute 2012 students
Join Matthew Lewis, acclaimed organ faculty member at Westminster Choir College and the Pre-College Division of Julliard; with Princeton University Organist Eric Plutz and Alan Morrison, Coordinator of Organ Studies at Westminster and Chair of Organ Studies at Curtis Institute of Music for a two-week Institute for High School organists.
The experience includes private lessons, participation in Philadelphia Organ Month and the opportunity to hear and play the famed Wanamaker organ. There will be organ crawls to major churches in both New York City and Philadelphia, master classes, and sessions on various organ related topics. The Institute ends with a student recital where all the participants perform.
One of the premier schools for organ study in the United States, Westminster features a collection of 15 pipe organs by major builders, including recital instruments by Aeolian-Skinner, Casavant and Fisk, as well as practice instruments by Noack, Beckerath, Flentrop, Holtkamp, Möller, Phelps and Schantz.
When is this program offered?
June 23 - July 6, 2013
Need Help? Access the YAP Track Tutorial.
$1850 (includes room and board)
- Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
- Family discount - Families sending more than one student receive a $100 discount per program
Enrollment is open to students ages 14-18 years old. There is no application deadline for this program, however it is advisable to register early to reserve your place in this popular class.
- Multiple private lessons and master classes with the organ faculty
- Attend classes in musical style, technique, history, literature and registration
- Classes in liturgical organ playing and improvisation
- Learn effective techniques for practicing, performance anxiety and memorization
- Learn how to prepare for auditions and college applications
- Built-in practice time
- Trip to New York and Philadelphia to hear and play some of the region’s most noted organs
- Students will perform in an organ recital on the Westminster Campus Friday, July 6th (family and friends are encouraged to attend)
- Students will perform in a final organ recital at the conclusion of the program (family and friends are encouraged to attend)
The daily schedule includes morning and afternoon sessions on varying topics including organ literature, hymn playing and improvisation, and master classes. Private lessons are offered weekdays except when off campus. Free time for practice on Westminster’s many pipe organs completes this rich experience. Evening and weekend activities will feature special presentations, social events and recitals.
Westminster Office of Continuing Education