Composition Week provides aspiring young composers with concentrated study in the fundamentals of composition. Through individualized attention, students of all levels of proficiency - from beginner to advanced - work with Westminster faculty members, Stefan Young, Ron Hemmel and Philip Orr. Students are taught and encouraged to expand their creativity and technique in Westminster’s Music Computing Center with access to their own personal work stations. Classes in style, 20th-century music and musical analysis focus on works by major composers. After a week of daily private lessons and numerous compositions, students perform and record their newly composed pieces in a final concert.
When is this program offered?
June 28 - July 3, 2015
Online Registration will be available soon, contact the office for information 609-924-7416
$995 (includes room and board)
- Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
- Family discount - Families sending more than one student receive a $100 discount per program
Enrollment is open to students entering 9th grade through those having just completed their senior year.
- Daily private lessons
- Analysis: college level topics
- Lab time with Finale coach
- Participate in final concert (parents, family and friends are invited to attend)
- Faculty composers share their works
- Show-and-Tell for campers to share past compositions
- Morning: 20th-century music, composition techniques, score analysis
- Afternoon: Faculty compositions, daily private lessons, computer lab work
- Evening: Working on compositions and/or supervised activities
- Final Concert
Westminster Office of Continuing Education