The Music Theatre Minor requires 21 credits. The Music Theatre Minor is open to all undergraduates by audition1. Students accepted into the program must declare the minor by completing a form available in the Department Office.
Musical Theatre Minor
|MTR-120||History of the American Music Theatre||3|
|One additional dance course: Ballet, Tap or Jazz||1|
|VC-103||Voice Secondary (2 Semesters, 1 Credit Each)2||2|
A minimum of 7 credits must be chosen from the following courses:
|MTR-216||Acting for the MT Major I||3|
|MTR-251||Genres and Styles I||3|
|MTR-252||Genres and Styles II||3|
|MTR-253||Genres and Styles III||3|
|MTR-335||Speech for the Actor||3|
|MTR-493||Music Theatre Production||2|
|MTR-493T||Music Theatre Production (tech)||1|
|MTR-511||Music Theatre Ensemble4||1|
|THE-217||Principles of Stage Design||3|
|THE-410||Advanced Performance Workshop||3|
- Enrollment in the Minor is limited to no more than 12 students during any academic year. Students may not audition for the Music Theatre minor until they have earned a minimum of 12 credits at Rider University. The audition for the Minor will require:
- 32-bar cut of an up-tempo song from the music theatre repertoire
- 32-bar cut of a ballad from a music theatre repertorire
- one-minute monologue (from a full-length play)
- Students in majors requiring voice primary study will substitute two semesters of elective private voice study for VC-103. An additional fee is required for elective private voice study.
- Princeton campus students must complete TH-141: Musicianship. Lawrenceville campus students must complete MUS-110: Music Theory I and MUS-110L: Music Theory Lab.
- Acceptance into MTR-511 is by audition.
- Some elective courses have prerequisites: Please see catalog course descriptions for details.
- Some courses will be offered only on the Lawrenceville campus.