Undeclared Majors: General Liberal Arts and Sciences Studies Program
College is an exciting time of personal growth and exploration. The Rider University General Liberal Arts and Sciences Studies (GLASS) Program is designed to help the undeclared student explore available options and create a plan to get the most out of the college experience.
Students choosing to attend Rider as part of GLASS are in good company as one out of every five incoming freshmen decides to delay the selection of a major.
GLASS offers a variety of features that help make the process of choosing a major easy and enjoyable. Through the program, students are afforded the academic support and guidance that will help them choose a major right for them.
Features of the new GLASS Program include:
- GLASS Freshman Seminars give students the chance to explore career options, Rider’s wealth of academic majors and other University resources.
- Peer-to-Peer Mentoring is available from successful students who have been through the program.
- Success Coaching provides a structured, consistent relationship with a University staff member to assist in active decision making, developing self-awareness and becoming engaged with the Rider community.
- The Classroom Visitation Program (CVP) invites participants to visit upper-level courses in prospective majors across the University to get a firsthand glimpse of what advanced study in various disciplines has to offer.
- Academic Linked Advising via the Freshman Seminars is provided by full-time faculty members in the Liberal Arts and Sciences to every participant in GLASS.
- A Core Curriculum has been designed to provide both an integrated approach to the study of the liberal arts and provide a unique opportunity to sample courses in a wide variety of areas while fulfilling the necessary requirements for graduation.
- Career Services Counseling is offered to explore individual interests, skills, and career goals in order to find a major that is a good fit. Sudents can get help with internships, jobs, careers, resumes, professional letters, interviews, and graduate school planning.
- GLASS also prepares students to participate in at least one of the following immersion opportunities, designed to connect academic interests to the world beyond the classroom:
For more information, contact:
Theresa (Terri) Marriott, M.A. ’03 ’09 is the Director of Student Academic Services for Liberal Arts and Sciences and Adjunct Professor for the College of Continuing Studies. She earned her Master and Bachelor degrees from Rider University and joined the Rider Administration in 1995.
Dr. Jonathan H. Millen is a Professor of Communication and Associate Dean in the College of Liberal Arts, Education and Sciences at Rider University. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts and joined the faculty in the Department of Communication and Journalism at Rider in 1991. He served as department chair from 2005-2010. In addition to teaching a wide array of communication courses, he developed The Social Impact of Rock and Roll for the American Studies program and a course on conflict resolution for the Law and Justice program.