Graduate-Level Teacher Certification Program (GLTP)
Graduate-Level Teacher Certification Program – for college graduates and career changers seeking to obtain the initial teaching certificate. A part-time and evening program for working students. Completion in just under two years including student teaching placement in the last semester.
The Graduate-Level Teacher Certification Program is appropriate for applicants who have a proven record of academic performance, are committed to the ideals of the teaching profession, and have the potential to succeed as a teachers.
About the Graduate-Level Teacher Certification Program
Rider offers a streamlined, rigorous, and sequential program of professional studies that combines the best of theory, research, and practice. It is designed for part-time enrollees who take one or two courses per semester. The classes run in late afternoons and evenings. In your last semester you will be student teaching full-time.
Students who complete all the requirements of this state-approved and nationally accredited certification program are eligible to receive a New Jersey Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing that authorizes the holder to seek and accept offers of employment in New Jersey schools. New Jersey has directed other states to accept this Certificate as evidence of completion of an approved college teacher education program. Students seeking out-of-state certification will find that completing an NCATE (nationally) approved program will enable them to achieve certification quickly in become certified immediately in many other states.
Students will be able to transfer 12 of their course credits from the Graduate Level Teacher Preparation program into the MAT degree if they choose to continue their teacher education.
All programs lead to teacher certification in the state of New Jersey.
- Graduate Level Early Childhood Education (P-Grade 3 Certification)
- Graduate Level Elementary Education (K-Grade 5 Certification)
- Graduate Level Secondary Education (K-12 Subject Area Certification)
- Social Studies
- World Language & Bilingual
- ESL (English as a second language)
- Business and Marketing Education (K-12 Certification)
- Graduate Level Teacher Certification with Masters of Arts in Teaching (Initial Certification MAT)
Rider University is now accepting applications for Summer and Fall 2016.
Application Deadline: May 1 for a Summer 2016 start or August 1 for a Fall 2016 start.
Important notice: All New Jersey colleges and universities are implementing the new state-mandated requirements for candidates applying to enter teacher certification programs after September 1, 2015.
The major change to the admission requirements is a passing score on the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests (Praxis Core), in addition to a passing score on the appropriate Praxis II content test. You can find information about both tests at: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about. Candidates who enter a program prior to September 1, e.g. in Rider’s upcoming Summer 1 or Summer 2 sessions, are exempt from the Basic Skills Assessment. For further information, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org, 609-896-5036 or visit the Graduate Admission website.
For more information about this program, contact:
- Ph.D., Curriculum and Instruction, specializations in Talented and Gifted and Educational Foundations, University of Oregon
- Master of Science, Educational Policy and Management, University of Oregon
- Bachelor of Education, major in Curriculum, College of Education, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Bachelor of Arts, major in Political Science, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Canada