Rider's Communication and Journalism Department offers one of the most extensive communication internship programs anywhere. Students may work any semester or in the summer, near the campus or near their own homes.
Because Rider is located in a media-rich corridor densely populated with communication outlets as well as major corporations and non-profit organizations, opportunities usually outnumber available students. Since 1999, a special agreement with the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton has made possible several recurring Communication internships involving video, public relations and website management. We have working relationships with such organizations: Condé Nast Publishing, NY Giants, Philadelphia Flyers, Comcast Sportsnet, Mid Jersey Chamber of Commerce, and Creative Marketing Alliance.
The program is generally limited to juniors and seniors who have completed the skills courses needed for success. Three-way contracts set forth the expectations of the student, the university and the on-the-job supervisor. Written assignments are required in addition to approximately 50 hours of work per credit hour.
The internship program is directed by Dr. Aaron J. Moore.
All interns are expected to:
- Hand in a completed internship application.
- Put in approximately 50 hours per credit in a para-professional working experience. (1-4 credits)
- Keep a working log of daily activities.
- Check with Dr. Moore directly at least once a week (this directly influences your grade), in person, by phone (609) 896-5089 or email: email@example.com.
- Complete an 8 - 10 page research paper (examining industry trends and documenting student’s experience) or semester- long portfolio (Tumblr)
- All work must be typed.
- Unexcused incompletes will influence your grade.
For more information, see Communication Internship Program Powerpoint (pdf).
Examples of Possible Internships
KEE Action Sports
Sovereign Bank Arena