Rider's Communication and Journalism Department offers one of the most extensive communication internship programs anywhere. Students may work any semester or in the summer, near the campus or near their own homes.
Because Rider is located in a media-rich corridor densely populated with communication outlets as well as major corporations and non-profit organizations, opportunities usually outnumber available students. Since 1999, a special agreement with the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton has made possible several recurring Communication internships involving video, public relations and website management. Other recent internships involve experiences in a wide range of media and organizations.
The program is generally limited to juniors and seniors who have completed the skills courses needed for success. Three-way contracts set forth the expectations of the student, the university and the on-the-job supervisor. Written assignments are required in addition to approximately 50 hours of work per credit hour.
The internship program is directed by Dr. Aaron J. Moore.
All interns are expected to:
- Hand in a completed internship application.
- Put in approximately 50 hours per credit in a para-professional working experience. (1-4 credits)
- Keep a working log of daily activities.
- Check with Dr. Moore directly at least once a week (this directly influences your grade), in person, by phone (609) 896-5089 or email: email@example.com.
- Complete an 8-10 page research paper examining the industry trends, and the student's experiences during the internship.
- All work must be typed.
- Unexcused incompletes will influence your grade.
Examples of Possible Internships
AT&T Public Relations
Bristol Myers Squibb
CBS TV WLTW
Channel 10 WCAU
Channel 25 WZBN
Construction Data News
Creative Marketing Alliance
Delaware-Raritan Girl Scouts
Delaware Valley United Way
Dow Jones Co., Inc.
Fox and Lazo Realtors
Integra Life Sciences
Lawrence Township Public Schools
National Starch and Chemical Corporation
New Jersey 101.5
New Jersey Department of Tourism
New Jersey Trial Lawyers Association
NJN (New Jersey Network)
Paolin and Sweeney
Princeton University Press
Rider University Art Gallery
Rider University Athletic Department
Rider University Office of Public Information
Soroptomist International Strategies, Inc.
The Sallie Show
Sovereign Bank Arena
The Holocaust Genocide Resource Center
The Home News - Tribune
The Lawrence Ledger
The Maury Povich Show
The Morning Cal
The Rider News
The Times of Trenton
Twentieth Century Fox