For accomplished educators who are committed to teaching excellence – and who want to be catalysts of change and collaboration in their schools.
Faced with diminishing resources and increasingly higher expectations, today’s schools are confronting greater challenges than ever before.
As schools work to implement new initiatives for reform and accountability, there is a clear and growing need to recognize and prepare teacher leaders who:
- Have a deep knowledge of their subject and a mastery of how to teach;
- Collaborate with their colleagues to innovate and improve the quality of instruction; and
- Promote a culture of student achievement and success in their schools.
Developed by Rider University’s respected and NCATE-accredited School of Education, the new Master of Arts (M.A.) and certificate options in Teacher Leadership are designed to prepare experienced teachers to assume a greater leadership role in their schools, and share their skills and knowledge while remaining active in the classroom.
Degree and Certificate Options
|Teacher Leadership Certificate • 21 credits|
|This option builds teacher leadership skills through mediated field placements, mentored internships, face-to-face and online courses, and on-the-job training. Participants who complete the Teacher Leadership core, which consists of seven core courses, will receive a Rider University Professional Certificate in Teacher Leadership. Teachers who already hold a master’s degree and complete the 21-credit core will be eligible for New Jersey Supervisor Certification.|
|Professional Development Certificate in Core Curriculum and Common Core Standards • 15 credits|
|In this option teachers participate in face-to-face and online courses, and internships. These activities are designed to enhance knowledge and ability to deliver instruction in a common core or core curriculum content, or related area of specialization. Participants who complete these five courses will be awarded a Rider University Professional Development Certificate in their specific discipline of study.|
Credits earned in either certificate track can be applied toward the M.A. in Teacher Leadership.
|Master of Arts in Teacher Leadership • 36 credits|
|Teachers who complete the full master’s degree will acquire both content knowledge and the skills needed to be effective teacher leaders in their schools and school districts. The full master’s degree program includes both the 21-credit Teacher Leadership core and the 15-credit core curriculum and subject specialization (see above). Students who complete the master’s degree track are eligible to apply for New Jersey Supervisor Certification.|
Admission to Rider's Teacher Leadership program is a selective process.
To be considered, candidates must submit the following documents:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Copies of teaching evaluations for the most recent two years
- Three letters of recommendation (one each from a supervisor, principal and colleague)
- A professional résumé
- A 500-word personal reflection on leadership in teaching
A Teacher-Focused Delivery Model
This new low-residency program combines the best of face-to-face learning with the convenience of online learning. Its innovative design gives participants the flexibility they need to balance work and family demands while advancing their skills as teacher leaders.
- The 36-credit M.A. in Teacher Leadership can be earned in just two years of study, including two summer residency experiences. Certificate options can be completed in 12 to 18 months, with at least two summer residencies.
- Each summer residency features four days of dialogue and engagement on Rider University’s Lawrenceville Campus, giving teachers the opportunity to meet and interact with their colleagues and professors.
- Online studies combine reading assignments, online discussions and posts, web-based presentations and other formats. Participants will be required to attend one half-day Saturday program each spring and fall semester.
Participants will engage in mediated field experiences and mentored internships at their schools. Additionally, Rider University’s education faculty members will provide one-on-one follow-up throughout the school year.
Instruction, coursework and on-the-job training further develop each participant’s skills in collaboration, communication, observation, problem solving and decision making.
Teachers can also increase their knowledge of content in select areas and their ability to provide effective instruction to increase student achievement through selected options in:
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Education
- Literacy Education
- Inclusive Practice
- Mathematics Education
- Principal Certification
- Science Education
Rider University’s Teacher Leadership graduates will be prepared to:
- Lead both inside and outside of their classroom walls
- Coach and mentor new teachers
- Observe and provide constructive feedback to teachers at all stages of their careers
- Assist in implementing newly emerging teacher evaluation systems
- Coordinate efforts to design and develop curriculum
- Make decisions based on analysis of data
- Assess performance to improve instruction and initiate instructional and programmatic changes to enhance student achievement
If you are interested in pursuing one of Rider University’s Teacher Leadership options — or to learn how you can build a team of teacher leaders in your school or district — please contact:
Office of Graduate Admission
2083 Lawrenceville Road
Lawrenceville, NJ, USA 08648-3099
Phone: 800-257-9026 or 609-896-5036