Rider GLASS Mentoring involves, experienced Rider students helping new incoming freshmen with their transition to college by providing support (including social, academic, procedural), motivation and encouragement with a willingness to commit, listen and care.
How To Apply
Download and complete an Application Packet (.pdf)
Applications are due on Wednesday, May 1, 2013.
The completed Application includes
- Application Form with signature
- Recommendation Form – Filled out by Faculty or Staff Member
- Completed GLASS Mentor Application Packet (submission of required forms and recommendations)
- Meeting with GLASS Mentor Program Coordinators
The GLASS Mentor selection process will be based on applications and interview with the Program Coordinators. Once your application is received and goes through the screening process you will be contacted for an interview. All GLASS Mentors will be required to attend a mandatory training session, group meetings and end of year celebration.
HAVE QUESTIONS? Contact Ms. Marriott, Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office (609) 895-5454 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GLASS Mentor Program Mission Statement
The GLASS (General Liberal Arts and Sciences Students; undeclared major) Mentor Program connects entering freshmen with successful and experienced upper level students to assist them in their transition to Rider. The GLASS Mentor experience will provide motivation, encouragement and support to help foster an environment that contributes to the academic success of the new Rider student.
GLASS Mentor Responsibilities
Rider GLASS Mentors assist their Mentees by helping them navigate their way through the campus community and guiding them toward becoming active members of the Rider family. As a Mentor, you will have the opportunity to develop your own leadership skills and become more involved in campus life. More importantly, through your motivation and encouragement you will be helping to foster an environment that contributes to the academic success of your Mentee.
- Be available for your Mentee to contact you prior to start of Fall semester
- Be available to your Mentee throughout the semester
- Attend mandatory training sessions and Mentor/Mentee group activities
- Hold a required number of meetings (TBD) with you Mentee
- Assist your Mentee with academic and social elements
- Help your Mentee become aware of Rider’s academic support resources
- Help your Mentee to become familiar with the layout of the campus.
- Represent Rider in both a positive and professional manner
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Know the layout of the campus
- Be familiar with Rider’s academic resources (tutoring, Student Success Center, library, etc.)
- Be familiar with Rider’s policies and procedures (registration, green lighting, course withdrawal, add/drop, etc.)
- Be flexible, friendly, enthusiastic, and encouraging
GLASS Mentor Qualifications
- Must be a current and active Rider student
- Must be working toward declared major
- Freshmen must have 2.75 or higher cumulative GPA
- Sophomores and Juniors must have a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA
- Must be in good disciplinary standing
- To apply you have completed one full semester at Rider
- Must commit to all required training and activities
- Must have good communication skills
- Must be dedicated to being a GLASS Mentor and a member of the program
GLASS Mentor Time Commitment
It is important to realize that there is a time commitment involved in being a Rider GLASS Mentor and you must be available to fulfill this commitment. You must be willing to allow your Mentee contact you during the summer months prior to their arrival to the Rider campus. You will be required to attend a group activity with your Mentees and a training session as well as meet with your Mentees on a weekly basis during their first semester and several times a month the following semester.
- Mandatory GLASS Mentor training
- Group Activity Dates
- End of Year Celebration